Posts Tagged ‘acquiring perfect credit’
Did you know that less than 1% of the United States population has “perfect credit?” The credit scale ranges from 300 to 850, and believe it or not, you too can reach that magical 850. All it takes is the mastery of a few key traits, and you’ll be a part of that 1% in no time:
- Keep the amount owed on all credit accounts less than 30% of your limit.
- Make sure you never have major discrepancies e.g. bankruptcy or foreclosure.
- Keep most of your accounts open for a long time, at least 10 years because you need at least 10 years of positive history to get anywhere close to 800 on your FICO score.
- A few “installments” in good standing e.g. auto loans or mortgage.
- Minimal late payments, overdraw charges, or any other account issues.
In addition to mastering these details, you really need to be checking your credit report at least once a year. This can help ensure that all your information is accurate and up to date. A quick tip, is that from each of the three major credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion offer you one free peak at your report once a year.